Skip to Content

Public Works

Updated: Nov 13, 2023

The Public Works Department is responsible for managing Howick's municipal infrastructure such as roads, snow removal operations, municipal tree maintenance, landfill operations, recycling and garbage collection.

With over 228 kilometers of roads with 33 culverts/bridges in Howick, Public Works’ day-to-day operations are extensive and, depending on the season, include plowing, grading, roadside mowing and overall road maintenance.

The Roads Division provides ongoing maintenance of all roads in the Township, whether it be grading in the spring, construction and paving in the summer or snow removal every winter.

Tenders for the works department are advertised near the beginning of each calendar year. Please watch your local paper, Howick's website or contact the municipal office for more information. 

Road Occupancy Permit.

If you are doing any work on the Municipal road allowance within the Township, you will require a Road Occupancy Permit.

A permit is required for any work being done on a municipal road or right-of-way. There is a fee for the permit. We require 48 hours notice to issue a permit, and if there is to be a road closure, adequate signage and additional safety measures may be required to warn or detour traffic.

How do I report a dead animal, or fallen tree on a Municipal or County road?

If you wish to report the location of a dead animal or fallen tree obstructing the travel portion of a municipal road, contact the  municipal office at 519.335.3208.  For a Huron County road contact the Auburn Patrol at 519.526.7231 to leave a message.

Please be prepared to provide the name or number of the road, and an approximate location of the problem, including nearest concession or 9-1-1 number and side of roadway. The obstruction will be removed as soon as possible. Reports considered non-essential will be picked up during regularly scheduled maintenance.

How can I get a Huron County road map?

Copies of the county-wide 9-1-1 map showing the road system and all associated addresses are available from the Treasury Department, located in the County Court House, Goderich. Measuring 24″ x 36″, these wall maps cost $5.00 plus HST.  Follow this link for more information.

Get In Touch

Dean Nicholson Operations Manager

519-335-3838 ext 5