Skip to Content


Updated: Jun 14, 2024

Your wedding day is special and we look forward to helping you make this important day beautiful and memorable.There are numerous options available for your civil ceremony from a basic standard service to the inclusion of your own vows, poems, quotes or songs. Sample ceremonies are provided as part of our civil marriage services. Our staff will meet with you prior to your wedding to prepare your personalized ceremony.


Marriage Licence$130.00 ($48 to Province of Ontario - net fee to Howick $82.00)
Civil Marriage

$309.74 + HST(during business hours, at municipal office)

$376.11 + HST(other locations/outside of office hours)

Rehearsal  $57.52 + HST
TravelAt current municipal mileage rate, locations outside of Howick Township

Due to the civil nature of this service, interested parties must be aware that there cannot be any religious connotations to the ceremony.

Marriage Commissioner Booking Form

Mailing Address
Location of Wedding  
Specify exact address is not in the Council Chambers
  1. Smoking, candles, confetti, bubbles, rice etc. are not allowed in or on Howick property.

  2. The celebrants, as the renters of the Howick Council Chambers for the Civil Marriage Ceremony, do hereby consent to defend and indemnify the Township of Howick for any loss or damages incurred by their invitees. The celebrants agree that the Township of Howick will not be held responsible for personal injury or damage nor for the theft or loss of personal property of anyone attending on the invitations of the celebrants.

  3. The renter shall be responsible for the conduct and supervision of all persons admitted to the Howick Council Chambers and shall see that all regulations pertaining to the event are strictly followed.

  4. Howick Council Chambers may only be used for the civil marriage ceremonies conducted by municipal staff or duly authorized delegated individuals.

  5. All exits must be kept free from obstruction in case of emergency.

  6. The Council Chambers will be available for a maximum of one and a half (11/2 ) hours only. Minimal decorating (i.e. flowers, balloons etc.) is permitted; however decorations must be approved by the marriage commissioner in advance of ceremony.

  7. Music deemed by the Marriage Commissioner to be appropriate to the occasion may be allowed.

  8. A booking is not confirmed until this agreement is completed and submitted to the Clerk’s office with full payment (cash, certified cheque, money order, debit card or online payment). If submitting payment online or by cheque make sure to fax or email booking agreement

Personal information on this form is collected under the authority of the Marriage Act R.S.O. 1990, as amended, and will be used for the sole purpose of booking a Marriage Commissioner of the Township of Howick and making the necessary preparations for the civil marriage ceremony. Questions regarding this collection should be forwarded to the Clerk, Howick Municipal Office, 519-335-3208

Your browser does not support the Signature field


Apply for a Marriage Licence

To get a marriage licence, you will need to complete a marriage licence application.

Marriage Licence Application

What to bring with you when applying for a Marriage License

Two pieces of Government issued documentation is required for each applicant. One piece must be photo identification. 

  • Birth Certificate (Canadian or foreign)
  • Passport (Canadian or foreign)
  • Driver’s licence (Canadian or foreign
  • Ontario Photo Card
  • Photo identity card (other Canadian province/territory or foreign)
  • Canadian Citizenship Card
  • Canadian Permanent Resident Card
  • Canadian record of landing
  • Canadian Government Refugee Travel Document
  • Canadian Department of National Defence driver’s licence (Form DND 404)
  • Canadian Possession and Acquisition Licence
  • Canadian Status Card
  • Canadian Conditional Release Identification Card
  • Nexus card
  • United States Green card
  • Report Pursuant to the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act with photo (Form IMM 1442)
  • Student Authorization/Study Permit (Form IMM 1442)
  • Employment Authorization/Work Permit (Form IMM 1442)
  • Visitor Record (Form IMM 1442)
  • Temporary Resident’s Permit (Form IMM 1442) – formally Minister’s Permit/Extension of Minister’s Permit

Get In Touch

Caitlin Gillis Clerk-Administrator

519-335-3208 ext 2