Garbage, Recycling & Landfill
Howick Township provides bi-weekly curbside collection of household garbage and recycling for all residents. To ensure pickup, all materials must be properly sorted and at the curb by 7:00 a.m.
Users of Howick Landfill site are required to place their garbage in clear/transparent disposal bags. This includes curbside pick-up. All contents must be visible to landfill staff and curbside collection employees, with the exception of one personal bag within the clear bag.
User Pay System
The use of bag tags is a “user-pay” system – the more garbage you generate, the more you pay. It is a benefit to both you and the Howick Landfill site to sort and direct as much of the waste as possible to the recycle stream. Bag Tag Cost: $3.00/each.
Where to buy bag tags?
- Howick Township Municipal Office
- Howick Landfill site
- Bare Necessities—Fordwich
- Watsons Home Hardware—Gorrie
- Fogal’s Your Independent Grocer—Wingham
- D & M Auto—Gorrie Abraham Hoover—44304 Glenannon Rd
The following items are generally recyclable:
- Cardboard (clean flattened not to exceed 118.8 cm X 118.8 cm)
- Boxboard (cereal boxes)
- Magazines and Newspaper
- Junk Mail
- Office Paper
- Phone Books
- Paper, Cardboard, Dairy and Juice containers (Polycoat/Aseptic/and Gabletops)
- Aluminium cans, foil plates and trays #6
- Metal food and beverage containers
- Plastic Bottles, Containers, Tubs & Lids #1 - #7 (rinsed with lids off)
- Glass Bottles and Jars (rinsed with lids off)
- food waste,
- foil gift wrap,
- gift bags,
- tissue paper,
- paper towels,
- toilet paper,
- waxy cardboard,
- laminated papers,
- candy wrappers,
- carbon paper,
- photographic paper,
- blueprint paper,
- facial tissue,
- thermal fax paper,
- motor oil and pesticide containers,
- plastic bags,
- prescription vials/bottles,
- reusable plastic food containers,
- planting pots/trays,
- shrink wrap,
- laundry baskets,
- meat trays,
- pots and pans,
- aerosol and paint cans,
- scrap metal
- snack/chip bags,
- medical waste,
- foam cups & containers,
Plastic bags are not accepted as they get tangled in the equipment.
Home-use batteries can be dropped off at the Howick Municipal Office or Howick Landfill site. Car batteries can be dropped off at D&M Auto in Gorrie.
Farmers and businesses can contact Switch Energy Corp directly to arrange for pickup. For more information, contact Switch Energy at (519)524- 0193 or email email@example.com.
Clean tires with the rims removed are no charge. Howick Township, along with Resource Productivity and Recovery Authority (RRPA) work together to safety recycle tires into new products and divert them from our landfill. Did you know that recycling four tires can save the energy equivalent to 18 gallons of gasoline?
The RRPA Program accepts the following tires for recycling:
On-Road: Passenger & light truck tires
Off-Road: Tires used on off-road vehicles & equipment in the agricultural industry
*The Used Tires Program does not include tires for bicycles, toys, personal mobility devices and commercial aircraft tires.
The OES electronics recycling program ended on January 1, 2021. The Township of Howick will continue to accept electronic recycling free of charge with a few changes, as all the recycling has to be sorted into the five categories listed below:
- Data bearing devices, circuit boards and high grade material (packed together)
- Flat screen monitors and TVs (packed together)
- CRT Monitors and TVs (packed together)
- Printers, peripherals and low grade items (packed together)
- Wires/cables (packed together)
Landfill Hours of Operation
Wednesdays 9 am to 4 pm
Saturdays 9 am to 1 pm
45589 Harriston Rd (east of Fordwich Line on Hwy 87)